To make 12 Rock Buns100g (4oz) butter
225g (8oz) plain flour
2 level tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp ground mixed spice
100g (4oz) demerara sugar
100g (4oz) mixed dried fruit (I like the luxury kind but any will do)
grated rind of half a lemon (optional)
1 egg beaten
1 tsp milk (optional)
- Start by greasing 2 baking trays with a little butter.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and mixed spice into a large bowl and rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the sugar and mixed fruit (and the lemon rind if you're using it)
- Make a well in the centre of the mixture and pour in the egg and the milk if you need it. Bind the mixture together using a fork - it should be stiff and crumbly.
- Use two forks to shape the mixture into rough heaps on the baking trays. The mixture will be much drier and more crumbly than a normal cake or biscuit mixture but that's as it should be. It will bind together during baking.
- Bake in the oven at 200ºC/180ºC fan/400ºF/gas mark 6 for 15-20 minutes
- Cool on a rack - but not for too long, they're delicious warm
With some of the very expensive afternoon teas on offer a recipe like this is enough to make you give up tea rooms and cafes altogether. Well, almost...